Cheese-y, delicious and super filling, this one-skillet mozzarella chicken thigh meal will leave you satisfied and happy.
I love one-skillet meals! They're easy, simple, and quick to make.
This one-skillet chicken recipe is delicious and I absolutely love mixing this up when I get bored.
This dish would pair well with a side of some roasted radishes (potatoes if you're not doing the keto thing) or even some mashed cauliflower (or potatoes). If you're not wanting to dirty another pan or dish then you can add the extra veggies into the skillet with the chicken thighs and enjoy!
One-Skillet Mozzarella Topped Chicken Thighs
This is one of those meals where I just didn't feel like cooking so I ended up tossing things together and then had to recreate it from memory to get the recipe to post.
For whatever reason... these types of recipes usually do really well and come out awesome (like this one). Then there are other times where I'll have a flop too.
Thankfully, this one wasn't a flop and turned out pretty darn good.
Another good thing to note is that you can save money on this recipe by purchasing bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, and just deboning and deskinning at home.
It amazes me each time I look at the difference in the price between skinless, boneless chicken thighs and skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs.
Alternatives to Cooking in a Skillet
Personally, I love the Ninja Foodi or the Instant Vortex Pro for this job. Both of these items allow you to crisp the chicken and then add the cheese (if you like a crispy chicken).
Added bonus... leave on the skin so you can enjoy a crispy skin too!Print
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning, divided
- Himalayan sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp Kerrygold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 8 ounces fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Rub the chicken thighs with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with one tablespoon Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and transfer to the hot skillet.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until the chicken develops a golden crust. Remove from heat and add butter, chicken broth, and cherry tomatoes. Top each chicken thigh with a slice of fresh Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes and remaining Italian seasoning. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Transfer skillet into preheated oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and the Mozzarella is melted. Remove from oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- To serve, top chicken with some pan sauce and fresh basil sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately with loaded cauliflower au gratin for a complete LCHF meal or your choice of sides.