Save some money with this little trick. DIY recipes can be super easy to make and really economical as well. If you’re not sure what hair type you have don’t worry. This mask is great for all types and will help you have healthy hair.
Are you trying to solve your hair problems by dealing with excess oil, hair loss, unmanageable frizz from weathering, and even unflattering sheep’s wool?
If so, you are not alone!
These are some of the reasons why we spend long hours researching different hair products on the internet and even looking for them in department stores.
While this can be tedious, frustrating, and difficult sometimes, there are always ways it can be done.
If you’ve started to doubt the ingredients used in some of the commercial products on the market, you might as well switch to natural products.
Natural products can bring your hair back to life in a number of ways, including a DIY clay mask, homemade shampoo, and other more DIY hair recipes.
And unlike commercial products, natural products do not contain harsh chemicals that can damage your hair and scalp.
In fact, they include natural healing properties that help treat skin issues like moisture loss and even seborrheic dermatitis. If you want to try some natural hair products, start with a DIY hair mask.
How to Make a DIY Hair Clay
Gather all your ingredients together.
They are the following:
- bentonite clay
- apple cider vinegar
- castor oil
- coconut oil
- sweet almond oil
- essential oils (if you want to scent the clay)
Bentonite clay, also known as Multani mitti or Indian Healing Clay, is an absorbent aluminum silicate clay that comes from aged volcanic ash. Most people like to place this bentonite clay mask on their hair or skin for its beneficial properties.
Some effects of bentonite include its ability to remove micrograms of lead from the body due to its negative charge. It can also magnetize the positive charges of lead. Bentonite clay is also a good option for oily hair as this clay is able to absorb excess unwanted oils.
Apple Cider Vinegar RinsesFor hair and scalp issues related to itchy and irritating fungus, this ingredient is a great choice!
Having been known to contain strong antimicrobial activity, adding this ingredient to a hair product can cure the scalp of possible infections, including dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis. In addition to that, it is also used as a hair moisturizer.
Castor oil is another natural ingredient for the hair that can prevent fungal infections like dandruff. If you want both a fighting agent and a nourishing agent, this natural ingredient is a good choice! Containing ricinoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids, it helps treat hair and scalp from lack of hydration.
Castor oil can also improve blood circulation in the scalp, so apart from adding it to a homemade recipe, you can also use it separately and specifically to massage your scalp.
When blood circulation is improved, your hair follicles will also be greatly nourished, accelerating hair growth and strengthening hair.
It takes antioxidants, saturated fat, and vitamins to nourish hair, but it’s a good thing coconut oil has them all!
This natural ingredient has long been known as a good hair moisturizer, especially suitable for people with dry hair problems.
However, it can also be an excellent hair protector, sealing the hair from external irritants that could potentially suck protein out of your hair. In addition to preventing protein breakage, coconut oil can also improve hair growth.
Sweet almond oil
Sweet almond oil is a natural ingredient that can protect and nourish the hair. It contains hair nutrients, such as protein and magnesium, as well as fatty acids that can help hydrate the hair and keep it shiny, smooth, and soft.
In addition to this, sweet almond oil is also commonly used to protect hair from damage with the help of its Vitamin E component. For this reason, hair can be protected against sudden fall and breakage.
Bentonite Clay Hair Mask
To prepare your hair mask you’ll need:
- a wooden or glass bowl
- non-metallic spoon
- container to save the extra in
Steps to prepare the mixture:
- Prepare a wooden or glass bowl to use as a mixing bowl. Note that heavy metals can cause the clay to lose its effectiveness, hence the importance of using a non-metallic bowl.
- Add half a cup of bentonite clay. It is easier to use a non-metallic spoon to better perform the following steps.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and half a teaspoon of aloe vera oil and sweet almond oil to the bowl.
- Add 6 tablespoons of the apple cider vinegar rinse to the mixture and wait 15 seconds before mixing it with the rest of the clay. Mix until no lumps are visible.
- Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until it forms a smooth, yogurt-like consistency.
- If you find the mixture too thick, you can always add a few tablespoons of water. Adding a few parts of water reduces its thickness.
- If it is too watery, adding bentonite clay to the mixture will make it better.
The end result that you would like to see in this preparation is a clay that is strong enough to hold both the hair and the scalp. A mixture that is too watery can have less grip on your hair and scalp.
How to Apply the DIY Hair Clay
- Wash your hair first.
- While your hair is wet, divide it into sections and start applying each with bentonite clay.
- Start applying from the roots of your hair to the ends.
- Bentonite clay dries easily. So if they dry out while they are still applying clay in other sections, just spray the areas with water.
- After applying all sections with the mask, roll up your hair and cover it with a shower cap.
- Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- At the end of the 20 minutes, rinse your hair with lukewarm water. You can apply shampoo if needed.
- Apply the condition and do a final rinse.
That’s it! You can also add a teaspoon of vitamin E oil or essential oil drops of your choice to add more health benefits.
More servings of coconut oil are preferred for any hair treatment as it has a low molecular weight which helps nourish hair with vitamins and minerals, unlike others.
Creating DIY hair clay by following these steps will surely be a rewarding experience.
By deciding to switch to natural ingredients, you are preventing the nutrients in your hair from being destroyed by harmful chemicals commonly found in some commercial products.
Make sure to learn more about the natural ingredients used in the recipes provided for better knowledge and understanding.