Serve up a delicious soup this winter with minimal ingredients! Hamburger soup is easy to make and seriously delicious. Feel free to add your own spin to the ingredients!
Have you ever looked at a pack of ground beef and wondered what else you could do besides the typical spaghetti, chili, or other pasta recipes?
Yeah, I know that feeling. It seems like sometimes I just forget all the recipes I could make when I'm worried about what to make.
Enter: Hamburger Soup
With just a handful of ingredients, you could have this delicious soup ready to go in the evening and your family will love it.
To get this soup on the stove you'll need:
- ground beef
- crushed tomatoes
- beef broth
That's it. That's seriously all you need.
You could probably leave off the crushed tomatoes if you wanted!
Making Hamburger Soup
To get started, you'll want to brown the meat in a pot. While the meat is browning you can chop up the onion, carrots, and potatoes.
Once the meat is browned all the way through, drain the grease off the eat and set aside the meat.
Toss the carrots, onions, and potatoes in the pot and cook until the onions are translucent.
Now, add the meat back into the pot with the carrots, onions, and potatoes and add in the crushed tomatoes and beef broth. You'll also want to add in all of your seasonings at this point as well.
From here, you'll want to bring the soup to a slow boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook the soup until the potatoes are done.
Serve with a slice of gluten-free bread or gluten-free cornbread and enjoy.
Cooking in a Ninja Foodi?
Truth be told, I made this hamburger soup in our Ninja Foodi and let it slow cook on high for about 6 hours.
The steps are the same as above, but instead of bringing it to a boil and reducing it you're just putting the Ninja Foodi lid on the pot and setting the slow cook setting to high for 6-8 hours.
Just be mindful to cut the potatoes into no bigger than 1 inch chunks and check them every so often.
I found that mine weren't quite done at 6 hours the first time I made this soup. But, that's my fault for chopping them too big. I've since cut the potatoes smaller and things have been fine since then!
- 1 pound Ground Beef, cooked
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 14 oz Crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 2 medium Carrots, chopped
- 2 large Potatoes, chopped
- 1 small Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat a pot over medium-high heat and cook the ground beef until cooked through. Chopping into small sized chunks. Drain grease once cooked and add ground beef back to the pot.
- Toss in the onion, carrot, and potatoes to the pot and stir. Cooking 2-3 minutes. Add in the seasonings.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and beef broth to the pot and stir.
- Bring soup to a slow boil and turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check the potatoes for doneness and continue cooking until potatoes are done.
- Serve and enjoy.
Goes well with a side of gluten-free cornbread and some cheese on top.