Learn how to make your own alcohol-based hand rub to keep you safe during this worldly struggle.
A lot of people are starting to look for alternative ways to not only clean their homes, but they’re also looking for ways to clean their hands.
Ever touched a gas pump and immediately cringed thinking about how dirty they are, but not have so much as a paper towel in your vehicle?
That was me not too long ago *cringes and shudders*.
Gas pumps are supposed to be one of the most disgusting, germ-infested things you could touch.
I digress… since then I’ve looked for ways to create a sort of hand sanitizer that’s not necessarily store-bought.
Ever since I went through Herbal Academy’s Introduction to Herbalism course I’ve looked for ways to cut out what I buy at the store and opt for what I can make.
How to Make an Alcohol-Based Hand Rub?
Thankfully, you can make a hand rub at home out of a few ingredients you have on hand (minus maybe one or two).
For this recipe, we’ll need 91% Rubbing Alcohol, a thick aloe gel, and essential oils.
Now, you don’t have to have the essential oils. They can help give the hand rub a bit of smell other than alcohol so we listed it in the recipe.
I really like lavender personally, but my husband is partial to eucalyptus.
However, if you’re using these recipes for your kids I would add no more than 10 drops of the essential oil total (this is a 0.25% dilution) or just leave it out.
Peppermint (Mentha x Piperita) essential oil should not be used for children under age 6. And, eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) essential oil should not be used for children under age 10.
Even though many essential oils do have antimicrobial properties, the alcohol is doing the heavy lifting in this alcohol-based hand rub recipe. So, the essential oils aren’t required to boost the antimicrobial properties of the recipe.
Equipment You’ll Need:
For this recipe, you’ll need something to mix the ingredients in (unless you’re putting it straight into a jar. You’ll also want something to store it in, and a small dropper bottle to partition out some of the hand rub for use.
Alcohol-based Hand Rub with 91% Rubbing Alcohol
74% alcohol content
- 6.5 fl oz 91% isopropyl alcohol
- 3 tbsp (1.5 fl oz) thick aloe (Aloe vera) gel
- 20-40 total drops essential oil(s) of choice (optional) (tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia), lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), peppermint (Mentha x Piperita), eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus))
- Combine the thick aloe gel and the essential oils (if you decide to use them) in a glass pint jar and stir really well. Add the alcohol, cover and shake it good, and then transfer to a glass pint jar for storage.
- Make sure to label it and store it out of reach of small children.
- When you need some, shake well and pour into labeled small glass dropper bottles as needed.
- Shake well before each use, then squirt onto hands, rubbing in thoroughly so the solution covers all areas of the hand.